Saturday, August 11, 2007

Reading D

I found this article, Public School Teachers Using Machines in the Next Decade, a little confusing to follow. I think the author, Larry Cuban, made multiple assumptions, and when observing today’s classrooms, we can see many were wrong assumptions. I am not sure when this article was written, but most of his references are from 1992 or before. It is my opinion that in the last ten years we have made substantial progress, in the area of technology in the classroom. I have witnessed this not only in the elementary schools but also in the high schools. As a contracted test proctor for No Child Left Behind and the Reading First Impact Study, I visited numerous classrooms, at numerous schools. All of the schools I visited had 1 or 2 computer labs with multiple computers for the students. Each classroom also had at least 2 computers, usually more, for student use in the classroom. Most high schools require some type of multimedia presentation for their senior projects, which is a requirement for graduation. The most common media format for their presentation involves power point and or video production.
I also think the Universities that are preparing the teachers of the future, are providing technology training. Thus the teachers are coming into the classroom much better equipped and with a working knowledge of technology that they are able to pass on to the students. I also believe the Universities are training future teachers to be more aware of learning styles, therefore accentuating the need to use multiple formats to teach a single subject. I think the field of education is moving away from the “traditional” way of teaching and moving to a more active teaching style that involves a more diverse composition.
So while I believe Larry Cuban made some valid points regarding the past and the history of education, I disagree with his vision into the future. I guess by Larry Cubans standards, that would make me more of an optimist, rather than a preservationist.

No comments: